Saturday 27 April 2019

SB2: Research: Uncertainmedia.com by Tom Joyes

For my theme I thought Tom Joyes' work about usage and consumption  of online data and social media is very relevant. It's relevant that it tackles the idea of hyper data consumption on the Internet and fake news.

He also effectively communicated this problem by creating the website which layers the top searches so that they play together giving the audience the literal sense of how much data and info they receive. It can also highlight how it can be a bit vague and chaotic to dig out which info is actually the most relevant and true just like how the audience may be presented with info that may be far from truth but can be thought of or masked as the truth due to it's popularity and relevance. His navigation method is also very clear and simple, by creating the website the audience don't have to learn its methods as they already know it and it automatically links the idea without explaining further. Therefore, I think that the outcome is very simple yet impactful as it makes the audience confused, engaged and intrigued at the same time.

The only thing I didn't like about it is it was quite confusing what the actual purpose of it was, only after I read the 'About' page that I realised it's purpose and I understood how it correlated with data consumption and fake news. Though I think it's mostly about how you interpret it, just like how I did above. Overall, I think it's quite a successful design and relevant research which I could reference from for my own ideas and design.

uncertainmedia.com


No comments:

Post a Comment