Thursday 2 November 2017

Second Typeface Development : Unconformable

After making my first development for . my typeface 'Unconformable' I've decided to make some changes to it.


For this development, I tried deviating from the actual starting typeface which was 'Helvetica' as I found it made the typeface look awkward. By doing this, I think that it has made my typeface look cleaner and smoother. You can see the distinct difference with letters 'd' and 'g' where previously they looked disjointed and gaudy (with 'd's' terminal ending curvy previously but now it's more straight and smooth and 'g's' stem looking disjointed previously but now has become straighter to fit it's descender), but now they look tidier and controlled. Furthermore, in this development I think the typeface become a bit more consistent and tidy as they look more assembled and similar with each other. However, I still think I need to improve and make it look better.


Example of refined letterform - D stem is connected more accurately with the curve making it look cleaner
G - stem is straighter so it does not look disjointed anymore; looks more mechanical

Possibilities of what to do:
  • Think of a clearer rule for the curved stem's --> angle?
  • Thickness of stems need to be consistent
  • Combining it with design four (grid from design four?)


*MORE DEVELOPMENT

                                 
TYPEFACE WITH CONSISTENT STEM WIDTHS
I refined the typeface further by making the stem widths more consistent and the same this time. In my opinion it looks more balanced.

I've made a lighter version of the typeface in order to see how they'd look like compared to the normal sized one. This lighter version of the font aesthetically look better than the first one I think...


No comments:

Post a Comment