Sunday 10 December 2017

Book Theme Idea

For our second studio brief, I thought of 'short stories' as a theme for the books that I wanted to look at. I chose short stories as I thought the stories well be quite detailed but also concise. It will also be fast-paced and the stories themselves will have a very thorough story to it, which I can study upon and do research as part of my task during the Christmas break. It may also give me a lot of things to play with such as the plot, and the objects or subject matter which I can incorporate on my design ideas. I don't really read books very often but, I wanted to use books that I've read before as I already have a grasp of what they are about before researching further into them rather than just picking books from the theme that I chose.

For the first book, I'm thinking of using the book 'The One Who Walks Away From Omelas' by Ursula K. Le Guin. It's very descriptive and a philosophical fiction story from written in 1973. 

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf 

The second book I'm thinking of using is 'The Little Prince' by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. The book is technically not a short story as it is a novella but it is shorter than a novel. It was published in 1943 as is a poetic philosophical tale .

http://yoanaj.co.il/uploadimages/The_Little_Prince.pdf 

The third book I'm also thinking of using is a Penguin Classic book 'Matilda' or 'Mathilda' by Mary Shelley in 1820. It is also a novella and has themes of romance, incest and suicide and is also classed as a gothic narrative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment