Friday 1 December 2017

Colour Theory Publication : First Crit

Today we had our first crit for our research publication on colour theory. I the criteria we were to display research we have made on three theories that we chose from theories either from Johanesse Itten's 7 theories from his book "The Elements of Colour" or Josef Albers' "Interaction of Colour".

During the crit, people have given me feedback on what I did well and what I could have done better and also suggested some things in which I could possibly use in order to develop my work further. I've noticed from the feedback's given to me that most people have given me very similar feedback such as:

  • "Sentences can be confusing at times..."
  • "sometimes slightly confusing separating certain sections of the paper order"
  • "good structure and relevant language used.."
  • "running colour scheme of emerald and pink coincide with the theory of complimentary"
  • "one way of improving your writing would be to say if it has been successful."
Looking at these feedback's and opinions from other people, I'm now able to incorporate a wider point of view which I can then use to develop my work further. Also, After reflecting on my work and reading people's feedback, I realised that my sentence structures may be too confusing and can sometimes 'too much'. This may be due to using very long sentences therefore I may  have lost rack of what I was writing or may have confused my opinions in my writing. Although, some people did say my knowledge and exploration of the theory were good and I have a "good understanding of the colour theories". 

I may also have to think about the layout of my actual publication as some people found it confusing while flicking through it. In addition, I also realised that may be I focused too much on the visual aesthetic of my publication that rather than the content that should be included in it in order for a viewer to understand a colour theory through my publication. Furthermore, I may also have to spend more time researching about certain aspects of my the three different theories that I picked in order for them to not coincide with each other, which may make it confusing for a viewer. I may also need to do more experiments and ideas in order to solidify my idea and make each theory separate from the others. 




I also had the opportunity to look at other peoples work, critiquing it, as well as get ideas from their work on how I could improve my own practice. Looking through other people's work, I've realised that I did not do enough in-depth analysation of my work and about how well or not well they went, how I can improve it and any other ideas I can take further. In terms of these, I think my writing lacked reflection, because if I did reflect on my work, I think I would've came up with ideas in which I can improve my work, therefore potentially having the time to do them before the crit. I will definitely do this in the next steps of the brief. I may also start incorporating examples such as the pieces of artwork that links to a colour theory in order for me to explain the theory better and it may also help with making the viewers understand the theories better.

In addition I may also:
  • Start documenting ideas more thoroughly through a series of images of my experimentations
  • isolate ideas in one page; clearer and cleaner layout as well
  • Don't cram pictures in one place

No comments:

Post a Comment