Friday 22 December 2017

Final Three Books

For choosing which books I was going to use for my book cover designs, I think I was struggling the most on what theme to use. At first I wanted to use short stories that I've read, however I didn't really think about an underlying theme all three of them had which I could sue to connect all three of them with. I also had a task with Ben and Part, and got suggestions such as using my initial short story theme by picking different shorts and focusing on 'length' and initially I liked the idea, however after thinking about it I think I would be restricting myself to 'length' when it comes to coming up with designs, and the different short stories may have completely different themes to them.

However, after deliberating I'm still going to use 'short stories' as the main link between all three books, and also a 'sub-theme' in order for the books to have a clearer link between theme. The sub theme I'm going for it the theme of 'scapegoatism'/sacrifice, I got this idea from one of the books that I wanted to use before 'The One Who Walks Away From Omelas' by Ursula K. Le Guin. The other two books I'm going to use are 'The Lottery' by Shirley Jackson and '2 B R 0 2 B' by Kurt Vonnegut. All three books explore the theme of sacrifice and scapegoatism, and I think I could explore this idea further and deeper as it's quite abstract and can be expressed using grid systems, colours and typefaces.


In a future where sickness and disease are a forgotten memory, and death itself has been cured, population control requires special consideration, and the concept of 'Life for Life' has a new definition.


Some inhabitants of a peaceful kingdom cannot tolerate the act of cruelty that underlies its happiness.


This is just a townful of people, after all, choosing their numbers for the annual lottery. What's there to be scared of?

No comments:

Post a Comment