Friday 8 December 2017

Grids Publication : Crit

Today, we had a crit for the grids publication that we created this weeks based on the different grid systems that we learnt and research about. During the crit, people have told me very similar things that I dd well and I could do better for my publication.

Some of the things people thought I did well were:

  • Having a "well organised and a good body of work" and "good body of writing for grids - shows an understanding..." as well as "I like the aesthetic of your collages, fit well with Roughtrade..." and "the transparent overlayed collage effects are pleasing too!"
I think I did well with creating a good style as a starting point for my publication and I could definitely improve and develop the aesthetic further by experimenting with all the grid systems that we studied about. 

Some of the things people thought I could do better were:
  • "negative space could be used as they are very full" and similarly "could show some more minimalistic layouts" and "use more greyscale" 
All of these comments were very similar and definitely something I realised I didn't do much in my publication. I will definitely do these suggestions as I think this would improve my publication further, by giving me a more varied type of structure and shows a broader use of the grid systems that we studied about.


Furthermore, other comments people told me were "could there be something to distinguish your work and research better". I don't really agree with this comment as I thought I have differentiated the research and my work quite well with the different paper stock and paper colours I used for my publication. I thought that by doing this it would be clear enough which one is my own creation and which ones are only research, however, if some viewers ay get confused, I think I will need to add more pages with could be transition pages in the publication in order to give a clear indication to the reader which one is which.

In addition, I also got a comment which is "..better single sided rather than having the pages stuck together". In contrast, I thought having them double sided would work better in order to create a fluid layout and structure for the reader where I could also match the grid system designs to the same ones; although to be fair it was my fault for having pages stuck together for accidentally printing them out one sided. Therefore, I may continue working with double-sided pages as I feel it would work with my working aesthetic better.


I also gave myself a list of what to do in order to improve my publication, based on the feedback my peers gave me which were to:
  • Use more greyscale collages
  • Use more negative space
  • Use grid and make collages which are more diagonal and dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment