Friday 29 March 2019

SB1: Design Development #1

This is the first development I did following my initial ideas. From my crit with Helena, I got the idea of focusing the drawings that I'm doing on the key points and movements that are done during the choreography. I also watched the choreography again and found that due to the fan prop, the upper body movements were very large and powerful, whilst the lower body movements were very intricate, which I thought balances the whole choreography very well. Due to the intricate lower body movements, I thought it would also be good to highlight this in the map. 

Similar to Borges, I also used line drawings as I thought that it would also help make my design easily understandable and recognisable by the audiences, even without context.  As I was drawing the designs, I gradually made the drawings less detailed than they already are, but at the same time making sure that they aren't too abstract. I did realise that as I knew the choreography it made sense to me even with minimal silhouette but to audiences who have no clue, they would struggle, so I made sure that it can be interpreted easily with minimal instructions. 

I've also started, to use lines and curves, which indicates directions and turns which I think can emphasise to the audience the details of the mapping of the movements, making them understand it clearer. I've also used yellow as the background colour to make the design more appealing and inciting to look at which could help with concentrating on the moves, as it's not harsh on the eyes or contrasting too much with the design. 


Thoughts & Reflections:

I think at this point I feel like this map has turned into some kind of emulation of Borges' work, which I did not mean to do. In order to differentiate this map to my my design references, I think I need to highlight its key points better as well as truly showcase my intentions for the map - which is for audiences to FOLLOW AND LEARN THE MOVEMENTS OF THE DANCE. I think the use of lines and curves is something that I will implement further as well as add details like simple instructions as well to help aid the audiences. Also, looking back at the time when I learnt the dance myself, will be helpful, as I could implement instructions or pointers that helped me learn in order to help the audiences learnt as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment