Friday 29 March 2019

SB1: Design Development #2 (Gif)

I decided to test a gif version of the design, as I thought it might be a possible better way of showing the map as opposed to a printed form. As it is about mapping a choreography, I thought it would be effective if the production outcome will also be dynamic in order to compliment the static illustrations; as well as it may also be more interactive and fun which can hopefully effectively garner attention from an audience and encourage them to participate and do the dance. 

Pros
  • dynamic - attractive and engaging, so maybe it'll garner interest in the exhibition
  • referencing the dance through dynamic gif production
  • speed can be adjusted, so certain movements can be seen more especially if it looks hard
  • It can have sound (the actual music for the choreography - may help people to learn better?)
Cons
  • Though speed can be adjusted while producing the gif, in the actual final gif it can't; it may gradually become boring or frustrating if audiences have to wait a long time for the new move to come up on screen; vice versa, if it's too fast as well. 
  • The gif looks to 'choppy', it might as well be an animation instead. However, I don't think it'll have the same intention and appeal to the audiences, as they may end up just watching it rather than following it, which is not the main intention of the map at all!



Thoughts & Reflections:

I realised that creating a gif for the map is actually not very effective as it's not strong enough to showcase my intended use for the map at all. I also realised that there's so many implications with a dynamic map, like being too fast and too slow, because I thought that it didn't really work well,  in order to make it better the other option was to animate it but it'll be pointless, therefore I decided to not further develop this concept as it'll be futile. 

Now, I'll need to find a better way of producing the map to maximise it's use and appeal to the audience, especially for the exhibition as well, and how I can utilise the space available in Colours May Vary. I'm definitely sure that it'll be a physical map although I'm not sure what kind of production method I'll create for it. Screen printing it may work in order to create a poster, so I will experiment with this handmade technique. However, digitally printing it may work better, time wise and cost wise so I'll have to judge which one is the better option out of the two. 


No comments:

Post a Comment