Tuesday 31 October 2017

First Typeface Development: Unconformable

For my first typeface development I decided to create the whole typeface (Unconformable) in order to have the bases done, for me to explore the typeface further. I tried using a rule while making the typeface and tried sticking to it.



Upon trying to create the typeface I felt that I already started to deviate from my rule as I felt that the typeface didn't look very good, however I still tried to stay within the rule to keep it as consistent as possible though with some outlier which made my development look quite messy. Nevertheless, some letters did stay consistent e.g. b, o, p, r, v and x. Also, while creating the typeface I realised that trying to measure the actual angle of the counters and half counters was difficult and when I tried doing it the letterform looks awkward, therefore I decided to discard this idea and continued to create the letterforms with less curvy lines. However, if I'll continue doing these curvy lines i'll need to make sure they're accurate at some point in my development to keep the typeface clean and consistent. i think I'll need to create a rule for this or make sure to make accurate guidelines as possible.


In addition, while looking at the typeface, I didn't really like the curves that I made on the terminals of some of them e.g. on C and D, as well as the stems for some of them (f and g for example) and the overly curved tittles on i and j. I think with these letters I stayed to rigid to the rules that they didn't look right. I also, didn't follow the rule on letters m and n , though I realised this when I finished making the typeface. However, looking at it now I think they look better and cleaner this way than following the rule on these letters. For my next development of my typeface, I think that I will try not staying too much on the rule as I realised the letterforms only look forced and awkward when I do this. I'll also think bout the aesthetic of the typeface and see how parts of the letterform will show this.






No comments:

Post a Comment