Tuesday 31 October 2017

[Video] What's wrong with the new Google Logo? : Will Paterson

Watching Will Paterson's take on the new Google logo he mentions something about 'Optical Balance' 




Overshooting - curve parts of type overshoot the guidelines to keep a consistent type. 
"to optically compensate the size, so it looks like the same size"





Paterson showed the difference between normalised type (Google) and overshooted type and saw the difference between the two and how the overshooted type looked much more balanced and better  aesthetically than the other - though it may be mathematically wrong. I think this links back to my own project and design as the bases of my typeface 'Helvetica also does the same thing - overshooting (I noticed this as I was drawing my guidelines with some letters like 'X' not being centred accurately. This made rethink about how I could make my design better in order for it to look consistent.  Also, I think for my design, it's also important for me to think about overshooting in order to stabilise my type and keep it consistent and balanced. Furthermore, I think by overshooting my type it may look much better than trying to force it only a grid, as people will essentially be looking at the type itself and not where the guidelines fall or how the type is drawn within the guidelines. Similarly, thinking about how each of my letterforms will form into words I will need to think about their sizes in order for them to not look disjointed and awkward together.

No comments:

Post a Comment