Monday 23 October 2017

Studio Brief 2 Rationale & Final Outcome (Design Boards) : Final Crit

Upon doing my designs I feel I have a consistent and different design ideas which all relate back to the artist that I am studying- Rana Begum. I feel that through my research and additional knowledge about the artist and their work I have explored a wide range of development ideas which I could've taken further and refined into my final design idea. In addition, I also feel that I have explored a wide range of media and material that the design can be put into as well as while developing the designs such as paper, leaves, collaging and using Illustrator to manipulate the typefaces. I think that I also considered the type of audiences that it can appeal and relate to; also keeping in mind the connotations and the overall impression and aesthetic that Begum has on her own designs.

I think that most of my design ideas have an interesting idea behind them isn't too obvious or literal o the work that Begum does however, still relates back to her i some way or another, e.g. natural geometry idea. However, some may be a bit too vague or similar to each other e.g. folding and distorting the letters.

I think that my choice of visual language is appropriate and links to Begum and her work. I have used similar colours that she uses for her own work such as yellow and red; bright single colours which are simple and flat. I also layed out my designs out similar to how Begum would lay out her sculptures which are in different angles which takes advantage of perspective and the audiences' movement. In my designs e.g. Poster in no.6 the lay out of the text is influenced by aspects of constructivism and Josef-Muller Brockmann's work which have also been influenced by constructivism. In addition, I decided to use the typeface 'Futura' as I thought it would fit the best with Rana Begum' aesthetic out of the 6 typefaces from 'The Vignelli Canon'. It is a very geometrical modern sans-serif font which has functional characteristics to it. It also looks very clean and has a slick and straightforward vibe to it which matches to Begum's designs and the way she works with the placements of her sculptures and how geometrical they are.

Furthermore, I also think that I have consistently put my designs in context. They are put in different medias such as a website, poster and tote bag; I have tried to be as consistent as possbile by only using the logotype itself rather than having variations of it in different styles (though I have showcased it in different scales and sizes I have only used one colour on it and did not separate parts of the logotype.)

However, if I was to do my designs again I would like to alter some parts of it. I would like to possibly add more text on the poster to show more information about the artist so that the audience will have sufficient information about them and not leave them confused. Furthermore, i would also like to possibly put the logotype onto even more context such as on a business card in order to see if it can be distributed on a new media and if it's suitable for the artist that I'm basing it on or if it matches her colour and image.

While reading the feedback given to me by my peers, most of them have suggested for me to out more text with the logotype as they feel it would look much stronger and better as they think that the logotype itself may not be as strong. They also suggested to interrelate the different designs e.g. have the design on final outcome no.6 on the website animation. Furthermore, people have also suggested for me to maybe develop my final further and make it more refined. Overall, people have said that I that I have a "clear development to get to the final outcome" and "didn't just stay safe". They also mentioned how I have "very good large amount of context and description is very thorough, with the idea being "informed and was (there) enough context behind the final logotype.
    

Response to Final Crit

  • I could maybe further develop me final designs and put it in context on a wider range of media and materials that it could be used in.
  • I could also include more text in my posters or more information about Rana Begum in the posters as it looks too minimal at the moment.
  • I will also need to proof read my paragraphs due to excessive spelling errors and maybe also change the font as someone thought it was too heavy.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment