Tuesday 2 January 2018

Using Illustrator to create designs related to music

I created five designs based on music which relates to three  of my books.

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

This first design was influenced by BTS' song from their album 'A Supplementary Story: You Never Walk Alone', which also links back to the short story The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas the band was partly inspired by the short story in reading their album. The song is also about journey and companionship, including lyrics such as, "This is the path I chose and even if one the is a fate I made up,: which can reference back to the people who leaves the city of Omelas. The graphic notations (circles getting bigger and jumbled up) show this part of the song, focusing on the base in the bridge increasing as it reaches the drop of the song to the chorus, which the 'flow' lines expressing the lyrics of the song.

The second graphic notation design was inspired by the song 'Spring Day' where Omelas was referenced as a hotel. The song is also missing about someone, "It's all winter here even in August", which can reference back to the story of the child missing and calling out for their mother. I focused the graphic notations on the different notes the singers sing and the way they join and break up syllables of words, which shows the different structures of the song and the different roles shared as the song is sang by seven people.



The Lottery

The third design I created was from the song 'Woody Wood Pecker' by Kay Kyser, which was released on the same day as the short story was released - June 27, 1948. For this graphic notation I decided to use the different instruments used in the song , as it used quite a few in different way, some very consistency and some only for certain parts of the song; as well as the note changes.

2B R 0 2B

The  fourth design I created was based on the song, 'Stranger on the Shore' by Acker Bilk, which was the number song in the Billboard 100 during 1962 when the short was published. It is a clarinet piece and does note include any vocals therefore, I opt to express the songs aesthetic. It is a very fairy-tale like, sophisticated and happy song as it was wrote dedicated to Bilk's daughter. Therefore, I tired expressing a very playful design, with the ascending pattern and the shaped gradually getting  bigger to get a feeling of 'floating' and bubbliness to it.

The fifth design I made was  for the song 'Ave Maria' by Franz Shubert. This song was used as a soundtrack for the film adaptation of the short story '2B R 0 2B' by Marco Checa Garcia in 2016, also named '2B R 0 2B'. I noticed the song was very repetitive and orderly therefore I focused on how long the notes where sustained and changed during the song and the key changes that was made. I also used a continuous line method as I thought I could express the songs fluidity effectively this way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment