Monday 1 January 2018

Using Microsoft Excel to create Excel Designs

The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas

For  my first design I tried creating a more detailed visual representation of what the path away from Omelas would've looked like. I also tried using Horiuchi's method of using Excel and used the line tool and used the gradient features in order to create a smooth landscape. I quite like this design as it can give the readers an idea of place Omelas.


For the second design I created I decided use a person blindfolded with the idea of how the child in the cellar is alone and it trapped and hidden from society and is sacrificed, and also how the child itself didn't seem to know the reason why they are being sacrificed for the people of the city.


For the third design, I took the representation of the cellar as the way the people of Omelas kept the child to be hidden from everyone else. However, I do think this idea seems very vague and very weak compared to the other two as it's not as conceptual and interesting enough.

The Lottery

The first design I made is inspired by the 'stoning' the people of the town do to the person picked to be sacrificed for the well-being of the town. I recreated a stone with 'blood marks' to show Tessie's suffering of the unfair tradition that the town has been doing for thousands of years.


The second design I made takes inspiration from a quote from the story: "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon." I used a crop with it's ends growing stones off it in order to represent the stoning that has to take place in order for summer crops like corn to grow properly.


The third design I made represents the five paper's that the Hutchinson's took from the box when they decided which family member has to be stoned, and highlighting the paper Tessie took which black dotted paper. 

2B R 0 2B

The first design I made for this story highlights the gun used by Wehling for killing himself and two other people to make room for his triplets. I used this item as it's important to how the sacrifice was made. I also put 3 red cells to represent the three people killed.


The second design I made is for the usage of the telephone in order to do the assisted suicides. Similar to the first idea I also made three cells red to represent the ones killed. I quite like how the design turned out as I had a hard time using the cells to make the design.


The third design I made was using the map of America and three dial circles from an old telephone connected together. I tried showing the country of which the story was based on and the usage of the telephone for the assisted suicide. 


I think for this exercise I enjoyed using the line tool better than using the actual cells such, just like Horiuchi, as I could get a better control of what I was actually drawing; also as it is vector based the lines were very clear and smooth. I didn't really like using the actual cells as I thought they look too 'blocky' and it reminded me of Minecraft art. 

Also, I think this time I had a better usage of the theme of sacrifice for my designs, compared to the Microsoft Word design and picked ideas which were more conceptual and can grab the reader's attention. I think for further designs, I just need to keep trying to create more conceptual ideas from the stories and also pick obscure links for each in order to create innovative designs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment