Friday 8 February 2019

SB1: Initial Ideas (Bringing back the Graphic Design aspect to my Idea)

Immediately after the crit, I decided to think of ideas which I can show my designs in a more effective way.

Idea #1 - Design/ Function Booklet

For this idea I was thinking of creating a manual book let that would reflect the ideas that I had on the proposal board for the brief. Similar to the proposal board, the manual will show the expanding diagram solution with the information and details about it. The manual however, will take the readers step by step and will include more information and description about the product, much like what they would see in catalogues. I also researched some of the catalogues that the sponsor companies of the brief have and they were all pretty much standard catalogues therefore maybe having this kind of manual will interest more audiences.

+ will act similar as a catalogue 
+ shows detailed visuals such as the screw/ drills which would help audiences to choose it would be appropriate for their needs etc.
+ can be easily mass produced as it can be digitally printed.

- people may think it's redundant as they may feel like the catalogue is already enough. 
- isn't interesting enough to stand on it's own


Idea #2 Design Blueprint

Feeding off the proposal board again, I'm thinking of creating a blueprint which shows the diagram in a more tactile and visually interesting way by using specific paper stocks and colours that would refer to the materials used for the actual product. The blueprint can also be extended to become a poster of leaflets and other promotional product which can be distributed in order to promote the product.


+ can be transferable in different mediums
+ can be very tactile and play with textures etc. to show the qualities of the product 
+ can be put as inserts in catalogues which may make the audiences read through further and look  at other products. 

- a mix of digital and handmade techniques - can be hard to line up or take time to produce.
- needs to be with something else to attract consumers
- consumers may not know what it's for at first glance - so will still need to include a good amount of descriptions.

Idea #3 Design Concertina 

For this idea, I thought maybe adding the 'tactile' element with a concertina book design would be quite interesting. I thought of possibly printing each section of the furniture on each page of the concertina reflecting how they are made in 'layers' or sections; as well as give the readers clear pace of how they look visually. Putting in the tactile element to it, I thought maybe using embossing or textured process would work really well in order to translate the idea of a natural and homely product that may appeal to the target users.


+ Clear visualisations of the expanding diagram idea
+ Dynamic and tactile element which adds a personal touch and more appeal to present the ethos of the product
+ can stand on it's own or be inserted in existing catalogues

- will need to have the right paper stock in order to not look tacky
- will need to be hand made so might take time 
- not time efficient so mass production might be limited

Thoughts & Reflections:

I think that as of now I've finally thought of sufficient ideas which I can pick and refine in order to translate my ideas  effectively and produce a piece of graphic design which successfully presents the ideas that I have as well. Also, in the time that I've got left I think that I'll be able to initiate some development and the final for these ideas in order to submit on time on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment