Monday 25 February 2019

SB2: Some Initial Ideas

After the briefing I've decided to start mapping out some rough ideas on which topics I could do. I was more drawn to Studio Brief 2 first, therefore I decided to think of some rough ideas for this brief first and move on to Studio Brief 1 later.

Idea #1

President Duterte of the Philippines proposing to change 'Republic of the Philippines' to 'Republic of Maharlika'. 

  • Main argument being that it's named after the King of Spain and changing it to 'Maharlika' would erase the colonial past of the country.
  • 'Maharlika' is to describe a freeman (In Filipino context, its the 'idyllic civilisation spoiled by the colonisers)


Idea #2

Online Identity - people having multiple identities online 'Context Collapse'.

Idea #3 

Cultural Appropriation or Appreciation OR Are Asian artists considered Niche of Novelty?
Why is it okay for western artists to emulate Asian culture and people perceive it as exotic whereas if Asian artists emulate from Western culture it's seen as as a joke or 'trying too hard'. 

https://youtu.be/iLVvdbrXYkw
Thoughts & Reflection:
These are just some of rough initial ideas I have for SB2, I think they are quite varied ranging from political, social and cultural which means that I may have lots of different avenues that I can do it from. Although right now they are just ideas I will still need to research more into them to see if they are sufficient and interesting enough for me to do and carry on, as well as have something sufficient to show for the interim concept pitch; and which theme and concept I like the most, in order for me to generate ideas for the practical part of this brief.

No comments:

Post a Comment