Tuesday 5 February 2019

SB2: Publication Development

After the interim crit that we had, me and Jocel discussed and thought hard about how we could improve the unity and cohesive aspect of the front covers of our publications as it was pointed out how they looked too different from each other. We decided to use the same font for the front covers which is (Helvetica Neue Condensed Black) pt 90, we used this typeface as we thought its bold and strong image would be impactful as well as effective especially when presented along with design and other text info. We needed something that would grab a readers attention and immediately let them recognise the magazine cover and the other editions about how they are from the same publication and not different or separate to it. In contrast within the publication we decided to use the custom typeface that we made for the titles and headings. For the body text we used Helvetica Neue pt 9 as the basic style however I decided to use the italic style, the same as from my initial idea as I still thought this added a nice dynamic aspect to the publication. The sub texts on the front are Helvetica Neue Regular pt 12 whilst the Sub headings within is Helvetica Neue Italic pt 9 in all capitals, creating a clear information hierarchy within them. In addition, it also adds clarity and keeps everything nice and neat. In addition, I also changed the colours on the title to be exactly the Yellow Sapphire (or Primrose Yellow- FFC72C/ 019890) colour that represented the lucky stone for a Pisces, not only referring to the sign but also complimenting the overall colour scheme of the publication.

I decided to further test on different paper stocks as suggested during the crit. I decided to experiment on Cyclus Offset 100 gsm and Cairn Straw White 120 gsm.


new front cover
 
jocel's new front cover

Cairn Straw White 


Cyclus Cffset


Although I found that in the Carin Straw White paper stock, the textured and the creamy colour of the stock highlights the collages even better making the more prominent and more attractive on the page, really highlighting the visual aesthetic of the publication. However, I didn't like how the stock was a little bit heavy, therefore we I bounded it it wouldn't close as smoothly as I thought as I'd like the publication to a a real smooth transition between the pages when readers are going through them and sit smoothly when put on display. I was also hoping for a lighter weight to have a softer more intimate and organic feel to the publication, feeding off the timid and close characteristic of a Pisces - I wanted the readers to experience how a Pisces character acts through their own actions when handing the publication.

Therefore, I preferred the Cyclus Offset 100 gsm stock much better and I also liked how it's only slightly off white giving a nice soft tone to the publication. When printed I also liked how the colour turned out very prominent on the pages. Most of all, I particularly liked the feel of the paper stock as it's the perfect mix of smooth and a slight rough texture that you feel at the end of handling it. As well as it's a good weight that it's neither too thick or too thin, perfect for a zine/small publication. It also sits nicely after binding and overall looks and feel easy and nice to hold. Cost and practicality wise, its also half the price of .... (£1.00) as it's only £0.56p per a1 which is cost effective if it was too be mass produced as each publication would only be £3.62 including printing (excluding binding (human) and time costs)

Thoughts & Reflection:

Overall, I think the changes made to the publication were very effective and made it more justified and complete. My developments on several paper stocks also helped me to think of further production such as labour and time costs which would be viable in commercial terms on the mass production of the publication. I am happy with this result and will show this to our other collaborators from Illustration and see what they think. I'm also emailing Livvy about it first though as I wanted her to know the progress of the publication after the crit as it may seem like a drastic change if I show it ti her tomorrow when she's already seen the initial that I sent her. I didn't want to make her feel like she's out of the loop of things.

email to Livvy

No comments:

Post a Comment