Friday 25 January 2019

SB1: Chosen Idea Sketch Development

From the initial ideas that I created I think that the Kitchen table idea is the most promising as it can be applied to a variety of kitchen layouts which widens it's audience reach- primarily to multigenerational families but also to smaller, younger modern audiences.



Initially, I had the idea of putting a Lazy Susan in the middle of the main oblong table but I realised that it's kind of irrelevant as it probably won't hold a lot of food which makes it redundant and a hassle than helpful so I scrapped this idea. I think that the pull out table is sufficient enough and is actually more than helpful and convenient on it's own.


Convenience 

I've started to sketch out developments of what is actually possible to make, as in my initial it seems very impossible to actually have that many variations of storage units under and would probably only make it harder for users to sit around it. I've pinpointed the essential needs users will need in order to work on/with while using the kitchen island which are: plates, utensils, pots and pans, glasses. Basically just the basic essentials for eating and preparing food. I choose these as it would be more convenient for them as they won't have to keep on moving around the whole kitchen in order to move quickly move.

Safety

As it's aimed at multigenerational families it's also important to think about safety. I've specifically looked at safety for children and elderly. I thought that having a sliding, or push action mechanism for opening cabinet rather than handles would be much more appropriate. Having push acton mechanism will make it easier for elder who have decreased motor skills or arthritis to open/close cabinets without help. In addition, it'll also decrease the accidents children may have such as bumping onto the handles; as well as make it hard for them to accidentally open cabinets and hurt themselves.


Flexibility

After looking at different kitchen layouts in my research, I found that this idea would also be possibly applied to them. In accordance to the kitchen layout and space, the kitchen island can be changed in size. Though it's small in size it will still have all the elements but in a smaller scale. maybe I could have 3 standard sizes for the kitchen island which can fit a variety of kitchen layouts.

Thoughts & Reflection:

I think that after choosing from my initial ideas, I have a clearer view of what the solution can. Also, because I have a clearer idea of the main needs in order to answer the problem asked in the brief, it will be more effective and complete because of all the considerations that I've done. Also, I will start to actually digitally draw and refine these sketches in order to fit the briefs deliverables of a digital proposal for spatial/product design.

No comments:

Post a Comment