Monday 7 January 2019

Responsive Review with Helena

28th and 1st Feb - responsive presentations

Today, I had a review with Helena about my plans for this module. As this module clashes with Employability fortnight this review was held in order for us to have the chance to talk to them about our projects and concerns about the brief as we will be unable to be in contact with them for 2 week, and this module only runs for 6 weeks, therefore having this review was kind of helpful as it just confirms for me what I need to do and if I am on the right track about this module. 

Studio Brief 1:

Coming into the review, I was already prepared to say how I was genuinely unable to do any initial planning or research for the briefs as I had initial work schedules that I was already bound to do. However, before we broke up for Christmas I did look at most of the briefs that were available and looked as other myself to see which ones I'd like to do and I was set on doing the 'Beyond the Kitchen' brief by RSA, as it's something that I'm quite interested at and something lose to me as cooking is one of my hobbies therefore I thought during a brief which I can closely relate to will make it easier for me to come up with ideas. On the other hand, I did also thought of may be doing smaller briefs, such as one of the yearly Penguin book briefs and the one of the briefs that we get at least weekly in the university emails as I've found one quite fun (e.g. the Tote bag brief for the university). However, after giving it some thought, I realised that with the amount of time I have I know I will not be able to keep up with it or end up doing half-assed designs, therefore I concluded that doing one big major project for Studio Brief 1 is much more sensible. Also, coming to writing my design board it will be easier for me as well as I don't have to try to link everything together or make several design boards for each brief, which will save me time which I can use to do Studio Brief 2 instead.


In terms of this idea, Helena suggested for me to:

  • think about various kitchen culture in different spaces
  • rules or system in using things in the kitchen.

Studio Brief 2:

I didn't have much to say or show for studio brief 2 as I've honestly been struggling to come up with ideas for it and furthermore, I don't have enough contacts that I can possibly collaborate with. I do have friends in other courses in other uni's however upon talking to them, they had to decline as they also had their own workload to keep up with. I thought of possibly collaborating with one of the photography students that we've talked with however, nothing is finalised yet which tbh I'm quite anxious about as I should know what I'm doing already, especially for the collaborative brief as it may talk a longer time due to us working with other people and having to find time to communicate and work together as will as keep up with our own personal briefs and their's as well.

Timing

Time management wise, I'm aiming to possibly do SB1 in the first 2 weeks and SB2 in the next 2 weeks, fitting it in during employability week obviously. During the times where we are not required for the employability talks I would focus my time solely on the studio briefs and after the hours for employability sessions as well. I've also concluded I'll probably spend longer hours in the uni just to be able to focus on the studio briefs as well. In addition, I also want to give my self time and space to make my design boards and actually refine my projects, as I know that the Early Submission for the RSA brief is 13th of Feb, which is two days before the deadline so I may think of finalising it then, however, I may also decided to hand it in on the final submission a month later (13th march) giving me more time to focus on the other deliverables for the module.

In terms, of SB2, I know I've mentioned of doing it 2 weeks after SB1 but as it's collaborative I know it's better to start it earlier, as if we run into possible problems I know will still have time to correct them or think of other alternatives, without compromising the quality of the work.

Thoughts & Reflection:

After this review, I felt like I just kind of said everything that has been worrying me about the module (e.g. the fact that I haven't done much during the holidays) and being kind of relieved? in a way as people were on the same boat as me. But at the same time, it has made me think more and realise what i actually need to do now, therefore I think for me I just need to finalise everything that I want to do and give myself a fixed schedule that I can work through. Also, as I've mentioned a brief that I'm most likely going to do I will start to research about it even more this week in order for me to start doing designs for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment