Thursday 17 January 2019

SB2: Final Bespoke Typography

After further refinements to the typography, this is the final bespoke typography I made for the publication. As I used 'Didot' as the typeface reference, it was easier for me to refine the typeface as the typeface already had the similar characteristics to what I had envisioned. 

The typeface that I created has much cleaner and simpler look to it while still looking very modern and soft contemporary. The ascenders and descender are irregular creating a subtle dynamic aspect to the typeface, complementing the italic body text that I've chosen. In addition, I've also decided to further give contrast to the thick and thin lines on the curves of the letter e.g. in 'c' and 'a' in order to give it a sleek look. Adding to the dynamic and sleek style, the dots are also irregular and elongated e.g giving the typeface a strong and prominent look especially when combined in a word or sentence. Having said this, it also compliments the collages really well though it looks very simple they still hold their own on the page. 

In addition, I also think that this fits the concept I'm trying to covey with the aesthetic of the whole publication as it fits with the Pisces personality of being "in the shadow" and "often quiet" type. Though they look very timid they also hold their own through their creativity and imaginative character and being able to think of 'out of the box' ideas - much like the typeface which looks simple however strong when combined together. 

Thoughts & Reflections: 

 Overall, I'm really happy with how the typeface turned out and I think it captures the style and mood that were trying to convey. I also think it give the publication it's distinct flavour which sets it apart to the Aquarius publication that Jocel is making as well. And like I've mentioned, it does look quite simple, however I intended it to be like this as I didn't want it to contrast with the collage designs as they might look too chaotic once they are together on the page which may seem a bit too loud and unorganised for the readers. All in all, I think this bespoke typeface could work really well on the title page of the publication as well as the content title headings giving readers clear indications of the sections and chapters within the zine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment