Saturday 10 March 2018

Publication Three: Uncomfortable Images Experiments

For the third publications I decided to created collages of pictures of the Rohingya people in the Rohingya crisis. Creating collages made a more interesting layout of pictures in the publication as well as I thought that it may make it more look aesthetically pleasing. I'm planning to make the publication A6 and think of including pictures and articles about the ethnic cleansing in Burma (Myanmar).

I tested the publication in different paper stock to see which one I thought would fit the best and also aid to the mood and feel of the publication itself.

Idea 1

  • This version of the publication was printed on normal white paper, also the black and whit pictures really stand out on the paper, I thought that the paper itself was not appropriate as it feels and looks too thin and it doesn't really have the right appeal that I was aiming for the book to have. Because, the publication has a quite serious tone to it I thought the white paper was too basic and doesn't really express that feeling.
  • For this expriement I tried yellow paper but it turned put too bright and doesn't really fit the publication. I thought the paper quality was also too shiny and has a different feel to the contents of the publication and I think using this type of paper would just make the publication look gaudy and take away the design of it. 
Idea 2
article grid experiment on publication
  • Though in this version of the publication experiment, I experimented with the articles that I was going to use and how they were going to be guided on the page. I thought having this column grid style for the typography fit the publication as it resembles that of new articles on newspapers and I thought this could add to the mood of the publication. In additional, I think that having the text like this can break the oversaturated pages of pictures in the publication, which can help it tone down the pace for the readers and not let them get bored of it but instead get more interested and actually read what it's about.
Idea 3

I had a hard time deciding on the paper because of limited paper availability and printing availability. I've decided to opt for sugar paper as it has quite a rough texture to it and I thought it may go well with having this kind of newspaper-ish type feel to the publication.

  • I actually quite like how the pictures turned out on the sugar paper as the black looks quite dark and the pale brown makes the images stand out of the page. However, i'm still not really satisfied with how thick the paper quality is. I think i will try and find a lighter paper than sugar paper as see if I can get paper which fits the newpapper feel in order fro my publication to feel right and have the right aesthetic and physical attributes in order for it to work really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment