Monday 12 March 2018

Warszawskie Getto by Hubert Hilscher

The book about the Warszawkie Getto in Poland designed by Hulbert Hilscher shows the people in a way in which they aren't exploited or disrespected by glamorising them in the photos.

Upon reading about and looking through the book design I realised that this book is similar to the publication that I am trying to design. It's similar in a way that I am also trying to document human suffering without minimising the people in them. I also noticed how Hilscher sectioned the pages of the book in order to tell a clear narrative of the tragedy. There's also a clear heavy use of photographs rather than text and with the photographs not necessarily having the same grid system but is laid out accommodating the subject e.g. having the photograph of a landscape spread put across two pages to highlight the scene.

This book design has further inspired me on what to do for my own publication as I further thought on how I can lay out the pictures on the page according to what kind of picture and impact it has. As well as maybe try to use less typography or only use certain important parts of an article in order to accomodate the picture. Also, i will try and put my publication in chapters in order to show a clear narrative much like how Hilscher has successfully chaptered his book design, making it much more impactful and effective on higlight the human suffering in the getto.


No comments:

Post a Comment