Monday 5 March 2018

Uncomfortable Images: Publication 3 ideas

For my third publication I chose the theme of 'Suffering' from the uncomfortable images that me and Will had this morning as well as an overall theme from my own uncomfortable images which was about the ethnic cleansing of the Rohingya people in Myanmar.

From reading Susan Sontag's 'Regarding the Pain of Others', I figured I could challenge her idea of 'Ecology of Images' and how Sontag thinks decreasing the amount of pictures released can make the meaning of the pictures resonate better rather than to be deemed normal or ignored by people or in order "to protect the reality that they depict".

However, for my uncomfortable images I realised that it's message or situation is barely being shown in mainstream western media and even from talking to people from my group, they didn't know much about what it was about. Therefore, I think challenging the idea of 'ecology of image' by over saturating the pages with pictures and text will be a good idea of tackling this perception of image use as it may actually show the reality of the situation to the audience and depict what is happening to the Rohingya people rather than not showing it at all.

Things Im thinking of experimenting

  • I can overlay loads of images on a page
  • overlay it on articles 
  • print out articles print images on it
  • idea of ethnic cleansing on the amount of photos that go through the page (gets less and less as pages go on)
  • use grid for the text?
  • use colour to indicate 'important' photos which challenges Sontag's philosophy the most.
  • experiment on newspaper like paper stock.
  • Maybe I can also compare the ethnic cleansing in Rohingya to other cleansing happening to other religions. Maybe this will have a different effect? Maybe people have different perceptions of various religions? Maybe some will deem one religion better or more important than another? I could maybe compare it to the religion that is oppressing the Rohingya'n people in Myanmar? juxtaposition of culture? I may have to think about the publication avoiding being racist? Maybe use jusxtapositioning articles and intermixing them and only highlighting important parts of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment