Friday 30 November 2018

Design for Screen Final Crit

Today we had our last crit for our design for screen brief and I presented the development that I did over the last week and in the crit I'd say that I kind of felt like people didn't really say much about it and I felt like I didn't really get much response in comparison to everyone else. Though, the feedback that  did get, helped me in realising some shortcomings of my app which was useful and fruitful in a way.

  • Refine the navigation - someone pointed out how it takes a bit long to get to a page so maybe I should try and minimise the back tracking users have to make. I did realise this and totally agree with what they said, as too much backtracking can decrease the UX. I changed it right away and users now will only take maximum three steps to get to what they need. 
follow blue lines for navigation links 

  • Change the leading on more context page as it looks to cramped - People suggested that maybe I should space out my leading on the paragraphs as it may seem too crowded and too much for a user to read. It may overwhelm them with information and "nobody wants to read that much information at once..." ; I think because my focus was to give users detailed information I overlooked the type setting and how to lay out the info, and I thought having it on one page would max the UX. Thinking back, I was wrong and spacing it out is much better as I realised the user may glance at it and not properly read it, making the purpose of the app completely pointless so therefore having better navigation in order to gain the user's interest into learning the details would be much more effective. However, I wasn't exactly sure if spacing out the leading would work as it's not actually changing much so I asked a peer what she thought and she suggested maybe splitting the info into sections and having them as slides that users can slide through. I thought this was a much better idea, as it would mean that it can increase the user's interest as to 'what comes next' and make them question is there more? And, most importantly it spaces it out for them so it's not overwhelming to breathe and gives them time and breathing space in between slides to process the information. 

Thoughts & Reflection:

Overall, I think the crit was useful and helpful although I was kind of disappointed because I didn't get more than I expected. The reactions were pretty mild and I had to start the conversation in order to get feedback; was it because I didn't prepare enough? Despite that, the feedback that I got did help me develop the app further so it wasn't all that bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment