Thursday 15 November 2018

Refinements to Final Publication Layout

Today, I made the final refinements to my publication which I am scheduling to print out by Wednesday next week. Before, the publication was supposed to be 64 pages however, I have reduced it down to 48, the reason being is that after looking through the publication - evaluating it and letting my peers try it as well I thought that some pages were redundant and did not have to be in the publication. Some of the changes I made were taking away the individual 'WAIT' pages and have one DPS of it instead. As per peer critique in the last sessions, they didn't really get this page and why I put them twice in different layouts. I thought if I decreased it and slightly amended the layout instead so it reads the way we normally read the readers won't be confused to what the word is and understand the content. 

In addition, I also changed some of the typesetting to some content. Instead of having these content (Faster) from bottom to top of each page, I've made them all centred however, their kerning increases. By increasing their kerning, it opposes the hurried and hastened tone of the content giving it a sense of ambiguity to the readers in which may challenge them to follow the sign or not. Although, the readers may not know that by flipping the pages more they will finish quicker, the ay still have doubts and confusion as to why the sign feels to be down pacing them and intrigue them to not flip the pages faster in the first place. This links back to the idea of how signs can be altered and changed in order to allure different tones and messages to the readers in which they may interpret in various ways. Wide typesetting for example, has a characteristics of being 'slow' 'relaxed' - linking it back to semiotics and how signs and symbols have different uses and interpretations in relation to society and culture.Furthermore, it also highlights the subjective view the readers will have while reading the content, which is what I'm trying to achieve and relay in the publication. I think having this type setting is much more effective as it's very subtle however it has various undertones in which the readers may or may not pick up while the book. It may be that they will look at it differently when they read the book again or wonder why it's designs the way it is. It makes them question their actions and why they do them while reading the signs in the publication.

I also took away pages which I thought didn't really have strong relations and meaning for my content. such as the ellipsis page, 'Did you stop at green/Did you go at red?' and paragraph. I feel like when I was putting them in the publication along with my content, they just came as fillers for the pages and don't have much strong meaning. My peers also said the same thing and I think this just shows that these pages aren't effective but rather they may confuse the readers and dilute the message that I'm trying to relay in the publication.



After, refining and reevaluating the content and pages of my publication. These are the final pages and form of the publication. 

Number of pages: 48 
Paper Stock: Satin 160 gsm, 135 & 270 gsm White Frost Colourplan

Production wise, I think the paper stock that I have chosen works much better and fits the look of the publication better than my previous attempts. As suggested by my peers during crit the Cylus Offset paper felt a bit cheap and made the publication look a bit rough, therefore changing to a smoother much brighter paper stock would be better as it not only changes the look of the publication but it also has a nicer  printing quality and printing finish which highlights the content in the book especially as my content is only text and illustrations it's important for it to look high quality in order draw attention from readers as well as make the overall publication look and feel high value and worth it to buy form the customers point of view. In addition, some of the pages will be in a different paper stock (135 and 270 gsm White Frost Colorplan) in order to enhance the experience of the readers will flipping through the book and the paritcular section it's on ('STOP' and 'GO) having the different weights of paper there may make the readers stop and feel the difference or it may disrupt their flow while reading making them confused or startled. Furthermore, because I'm also thinking of having a hard cover for my book, this will also make the publication look refined and desirable to look at, touch and read, which may give the readers a better experience of reading and handling the boo which in turn ma help them retain information more and understand the content and context of the book. Cost wise, because the number of pages have decreased the printing cost also decreases, which may mean that if the publication was to be sold commercially the price of it may decrease as well in relation to its production cost. Having it more affordable for the target audience to buy mean they may be more willing to buy it and read it, hence also making the publication commercially successful and effective in targeting its demographic audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment