Friday 2 November 2018

SB1 Final Crit

Today we had our final crit for Studio Brief 1 Design for Print. I think compared to the interim crit I have actually gathered very useful feedback and crit.

In the crit I explained my intentions of intending to create a publication which explored semiotics and usage of language in order to communicate to the readers in a playful and interactive way. However, I did feel like I didn't explain this properly and maybe got some people confused however people in the crit were kind enough to help me clear out my intentions and was willing to understand my concept.
During the crit I also explained my usage of certain binding methods, materials and paper stock etc. and how I have experimented with them and explored different ways in producing my publication. 
I've explained my usage of laser cutting as I felt like it's the most effective way for me to bring out a very interactive and playful publication as it allows me to play will size and shape as well as having different options, which also relates to my context of creating an interactive and interesting publication for the readers. In addition, I also stated how instead of using a single page binding I'd use coptic stitch or kettle stitch as it does the same job, showing my considerations with production and commercial production of the publication. 

Overall, I feel like I've came out of the crit more confident and relaxed as I feel like I have a clearer mind of what my publication is about, therefore I can have a better sense of content to concept relation in terms of production of my publication. Most of the comments and feedback that I got also really helped me as will definitely consider for the development of my publication. 

Comments & Feedback & Recommendations:
  • Using sandpaper to get rid of burnt marks from laser cut - I've stated how the burnt marks from the laser cutter ruined my overall design however someone recommended using sand paper as a way to get rid of the marks which I found quite helpful and will try out as laser cutting is the main technique of my publication. 
  • *Content: How is the message of the publication accessed or understood? - I found this quite helpful as it helped me realise even more how my content should look and what my actual content is going to be. As for me, my main struggle is my content and therefore having someone showing me a different point of view of how I should about my publication gave me a better understanding of how I should explore my content.
  • Maybe putting both the 'normal' and 'emotive' message within the publication in order to show the contrast to the readers - I think this may be effective in showing the content and context to the readers as there will be a clear setting of the publication and in terms of production may give me more ways to play around?
  • Should do more responding and analysing to the research (Cognitive Skills) (Research/Critical awareness) - This was the main learning outcome that I was recommended to focus on. I also fee like during the crit it was made clear to me that I really lacked this, because I was just focusing on experimentations on production with a lack of considerations of the content. However, now that I am more confident and clear about which path I'm going with my publication I will be focusing more on this and clearly strip back and pick and choose the appropriate content from my research.
Dom also gave use indications of where we are at in this brief through a traffic light system (red, amber and green) which I found quite useful and it will give me a clearer more concrete visual of where I am standing and which are I needed to work on more:

  1. (Research) *demonstrate informed understanding of issues relating to information, media, format and context - AMBER 
  2. (Critical Awareness/ Technical Competence) *understand potential and limitations of technologies and processes used in design for print - AMBER
  3. (Cognitive Skills) (Research/ Critical Awareness) *analyse and critically evaluate primary/secondary source material to inform the development and contextualisation of design solutions for print - RED/AMBER
  4. (Practical & Professional Skills) (Visual Quality and Resolution) *Select. manipulate and apply appropriate media, processes and technologies in the development, production and presentation of design solutions for print) - AMBER
Thoughts & Reflection:

Before the crit I felt like I really didn't know where to move forward with my publication as I was really stuck on the content of my publication. However, after the crit I think I've come to realise that maybe I have done a lot of research which in a way made me have so much going on that I can't think what to do and how to do it. In my head, I do have ideas however executing them was what I found extremely difficult because in a way I was also very weary of unconsciously creating pastiche work form my research because I was so hung up on them; and I think it really showed in the crit when I got a red-amber sign from Dom and the whole crit group. I feel like in order for me to create my content I need to strip it back and simplify my ideas as I feel it may become too 'conceptual' that it'll just dilute the whole message that I'm trying to get across. Furthermore, in order for me to get a concrete publication design from production considerations, materials, stock I need to really get my content together as all the experimentations that I've done will fall into place and I can easily pick and choose which one is the most appropriate.Therefore, hopefully by the end of the week I have a confident final publication design with the content, materials, stock, binding, number of pages, production and cost considered so that I can easily create the final publication whilst doing studio brief two as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment