Monday 5 November 2018

Publication Decisions (Development)

As Dom suggested to us on Friday after the crit I decided to start creating and developing the layout and composition of my final publication.

Number of pages: 64
Type of Bound: Kettle Stitch (even holes as it starts from the outside)
Type: Sans Serif (Helvetica)
Production: Laser cut, Digital Print
Paper Stock: Card ...
Other Features: Turn in, Engraving, DPS, Colour Page

(insert pic from sketchbook - scan)

Page Contents (Content & Production Considerations & Decisions)

  • Front Cover: Laser cut box where Page 3 (Title -Read Me) can be seen through. I thought this would be quite nice as it has a literal reference to a physical sign that we see everyday. I think it may may also give a slight reference to what the publication is gong to be about as well as a visually interesting style of having a title.  
  • Pages 7 & 8 - Laser cut shape accompanied by text *shape can have double meaning of being lips of eyes) -> reference to use of semiotics and how each person can have a different subjective view to a symbol or icon depending on their social/cultural knowledge. 
  • Pages 9, 11 & 13 - 'STOP' - using this word in  order to try and elicit an action from the readers. Each page will be a different paper weight (gets heavier) and layout of word will get lower as you flip and bigger in point size. This may hopefully get the readers to understand the intentions of the word. *they may not actually stop flipping even though it says stop.  Also, the increase in paper wieght, and point size may also indicate the readers to pay actual attention to the content and think about their actions as it the difference in touch and sight of the publication throw them off slightly, much like how emotionally intelligent signs can make the readers pay attention through humour use of emotive language (using senses in their way can also elicit emotive action form the readers to the publication).
  • Pages 14 - 19 - has similar idea as mentioned above. Usage of 'everyday signage language' and make the readers pay actual attention to it rather than deeming it as being part of the 'background'. 
  • Page 20 - 'GO' - Using the colour red for the word 'GO' which is usually associated with the colour green. Again, reference to semiotics and how meaning is acquired through society and cultural ideologies. Challenging this norm may make the readers think of their action and their response may be different to what is intended or the 'norm'. (*THE STROOP EFFECT) - slows down understanding, in return may make the readers stop and think about their actions. 
  • Pages 22 & 23 (DPS with turn in on both sides) - folded turn in will be engraved with the word 'CLOSE', this can reference the initial research of everyday handmade signage. It also has an opposite action required as it needs to be opened -> readers need to decide, what happens when the open it? does it need to be closed? <- these may be some of the questions that the readers will ask theme selves. *May be a different colour page? though this means that page 38 & 39 will also be different colours therefore content for these two pages will also needed to be considered.
  • Page 38- Written paragraph information about emotionally intelligent signs - hopefully give the readers a clearer context of the publication and understanding of the content as well. 
  • Page 36 - Laser cut box which lets page 38 text through, reference to title page and gives some familiarity and sequence to some of the content which may help make the publication look 'complete'.
  • Pages 24 - 27 - Prolonged black blank pages can be an indication of taking a break or maybe making the readers flip even more to satisfy their curiosity. Furthermore, it balances the text heavy publication and give some breathing space.
  • Pages 30 -31 (Halfway Point) - ellipsis. gives the readers sense of direction, time, and something is still left -  again reference to using symbols and icons for semiotics. DPS
  • Pages 40 - 48 - Emotive Language use to communicate with the readers and attempt to make them move for the book. Similar to Emotionally Intelligent Signs. These messages can elicit some empathy for the readers and gives them an indication and encouragement that they are nearing the end of the publication, which hopefully may motivate them and keep the action moving. 
  • Pages 54 - 58 - Conclusion sign and messages. This gives the readers the confirmation that they have finished. Giving confirmation and validation may give the readers a sense of achievement from the actions that they've done as they 'worked for the book'. 


Thoughts & Reflection:

Today as I made the finally put and thought about the content for my book, I feel like the production methods that I have previously said in the final crit has slightly changed. I kind of expected this as before I only focused on the production methods rather than thinking about how they relate to the content. However, now that I have the content I think that I have created a more resolved and stronger publication conceptually and visually. Though some of the production methods have changed in accordance to the content of the book I think that they are still justifiable and effective if not more effective. Also, I visited my brief in order to see if I was on track with the publication that I was creating and that if I was answering my brief properly. I feel like this time around, I am effectively answering the brief and I think that it does fit the criteria's than my previous decisions as my design decisions now have better depth and connotations and meaning due to the addition of the content and not just because it looks nice. Furthermore, compared to last week, finally realising that I needed to simplifying my ideas rather than try hard and make it look 'intellectual' and very conceptual has given me a better quality content in my opinion. The simple content ideas that I have made has given me more to play around with in terms of production methods and also effectively communicates my content to the readers. 

Speaking of production methods, digitally printing the text and laser cutting certain shapes is more appropriate I think and gives a nice contrast to the overall look of the publication. I've realised that maybe engraving the text may look really tacky and has a really weak decision behind it to be honest - being having a 'hand made' touch to it. Although, I think having the kettle stitch technique for the binding still adds this element and doesn't necessary take away anything form the design, in fact maybe it may add an interest to how the overall publication will look. In addition, the kettle stitch technique is also very functional and effective as it keeps the signatures flat when the pages are turned which I wanted in the first place for my publication. I wanted the pages to flip fully as it want to create a both a fast and slow pace with the book. The fact that readers can flip it easily and comfortable will possibly make them flip it more actively and quicker, making them read the messages quicker and process them quicker. On the other hand, the binding may also make the readers turn the pages more carefully, slowly reading the messages and digesting the information slower therefore eliciting a different subjective view on it than quicker readers. In terms for my cover I'm still debating on whether on not I showed make it hard or just card as I know the cover has a big impact on the publication as it's the first thing the readers will notice. The hard cover covered with buck rum with the title printed on or thick card with the title engraved or printed on as well.

The next step of me is to start laying this design on InDesign and Illustrator now and possibly make some mock print outs of certain page sequences in order to make sure they all work well and if I do I can quickly make some refinements to my layout and composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment