Wednesday 14 November 2018

Visiting Professional: Adam Griffiths

Today Adam Griffiths gave us a talk about his professional practice and how he uses and translates design from screen to print and print to screen.

https://www.ra-bear.com/

*Curio Curia - Google Vision - using algorithms and how Google sees and presents objects. Sculptures and designs where made and scanned through google in order to see what google comes up with -> Misrepresentation of the work

*Capturing the screen (loading Instagram picture screenshots) - the loading pictures themselves are recognisable but at the same time still very abstract which is really interesting and you can't really tell what it is but at the same time you do.

*Transient Space - usage of 'boring' spaces and turning it into something visually attracting -> a digital gallery exploring the concept of time space and the culture of the transient screen

  • adopting the screens 
  • disrupting non space and non gallery
  • Logo - not set and transient in itself which is quite versatile and flexible in a way.
Digital screens can be helpful for the well-being or a crisis - it may also be used in a purposeful way to help people e.g. digital screen to show sunrise in Beijing.

Clickbait Workshop:
After his, talk we were given a workshop brief that we were to do for the afternoon. I teamed up as a four with Jocel, Koyni and Kristen and started dropping down ideas for the brief. At first, we started thinking about disruptions that we encounter in our everyday lives like walking on the sidewalk etc. We then got onto the idea of speaking different languages and how you can get stuck with trying to remember a word in another language, disrupting your thought track and speech altogether. As all of us speak at least one or two languages we decided to use this idea as it was relatable to all of us and something that we thought not just applies to different language but also to normal everyday speech as well. 

We came up with a transcript of a scenario I encountered with my mum, where I suddenly forgot the word 'stair' in language (Bisaya) and proceeded to long wind-idly explain what and how a stair works to my mum until I remembered the word. We thought of making the gif quite funny and meme like as we thought it would be quite engaging and entertaining to to the audience as it's something that's quite relatable with everyone and it's a structure that we are quite familiar with, especially with memes- you'd expect something funny will happen, therefore it may make the audience watch the gif till the end. To elevate the experience for the audience we also added some sounded for auditory experience, because as we were creating the gif, we thought added music would balance out the time the words pop up the page as it felt like it was taking to long without it, adding the music made it more entertaining and made you expect what was coming. Furthermore, we also added a meme in our video making it more entertaining and fun to look at. Overall, I think we were quite satisfied with the video that we created as it was simple and relatable but at the same time can also attract the audience's attention and answer the brief on disruption. I think our approach to it is also quite effective as we took a lighter and humorous approach to it that people will be more willing to watch it that just walk pass it. 


Thoughts & Reflection:

Overall, it was a very good talk and workshop from Adam Griffiths and I think that I may submit my own response to the brief for January. In addition, I've also understood the intentions of the transient space exhibition that we saw in Manchester much better now and have a clear understanding of it now than when I saw it. In addition, the talk was also very insightful as we got to know how Adam works and how he works and the design processes that he does in order to create and curate work. The workshop was also very fun and very productive. As the brief was quite broad and we could do pretty much anything we wanted, we were able to be more free and come up with processes and ideas that we were willing to spend time on. Looking at everyone else's work, I enjoyed how their work also came up from very simple ideas but worked really well and was really eye catching and grab people's attention. Especially, with the hacking gif, it was really simple but worked really well as it was really short and snappy and you get the message from it which was really effective. I've also noticed that we were the only group that used audio, maybe we got too into the fact that we were making a video instead of a gif, but maybe when if I will submit a design in January I'll need to reconsider some elements such as audio if it will actually be necessary or not in my design. 

Linking this back to, studio brief 2, I think having a really simple idea and how the processes such as timing and spacing between each movement on the screen is something that I can consider because they are very important aspects when making a DFS, in order to be appropriate and effective for the target audience. As of now, I still don't really feel like I have a strong idea for my DFS but I will continue to draft ideas down until I am satisfied of an idea that I know I can work well with and have lots to do with as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment