Thursday 15 November 2018

Hard Cover for Publication?

After doing my mock up I've asked my peers for suggestions and crit about what I could improve on my publication. I've asked them if I should include a hard cover to my publication and if it's appropriate to my design. My peers suggested that I should have a hard cover to it and cover it with something at it looks a bit rough and cheap even with just the card cover to it. They suggested maybe having buck rum as the cover to it, giving the cover a professional finish and enhance the feel and sturdy function to the publication overall.

Thoughts & Reflections:

After reevaluating my publication, I do feel like it looks a bit rough and unfinished because the cover doesn't really look professional at all. The cover looks a bit flimsy as well now that I think about it and doesn't make the publication appealing at all. Coming back to my mount board idea which I did say I won't use; I think maybe using it again will actually be beneficial for my publication now as the mount board material itself is quite thick however not too thick that I won't be able to punch holes into it to thread it with my publication. In addition, functionality wise it is a strong and sturdy material that will keep the publication intact as well and will keep the contents in place and protect them from damage at least. Also, I think having that hard cover on my publication will also enhance its aesthetics and will hopefully make attract audience as it may look more appealing to read and have in general.

Thinking further with this idea, I thought maybe having black buck rum on the hardcover adds to the aesthetic and uniformity with the black and white pages that I have in the publication, making the publication complete and consistent from the cover to the contents pages. Also, I've thought of maybe laser cutting the title on the cover, however I don't know if it'll actually work because it might burn like plastic as buck rum has similar qualities to it as well. Maybe I could try kiss-cutting it instead? I will have to test this out first. In addition to this, I was thinking of putting the title on the back cover, relating to the content of the publication. I thought having the title on the back cover will possibly make the readers question which way to read it, giving it that sense of uncertainty and how the sign (title) is making you think of the opposite and question your actions. Why do you always think that the cover with the tittle is the front? Is it because the information is there? There are words on it? Does that mean it's automatically where you should start? This are the kind of questions I'd like the audience to think of when they pick up the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment