Friday 9 November 2018

Final Publication Second Mock Up

Today I decided to do another mock up of my publication in the hopes that it will turn out right this time around. Following from yesterday's concerns I've ultimately decided to use the Cylus Offset 170 gsm paper as I felt that it was the most appropriate and effective paper stock for my publication concept, binding and printing. I liked how the stock is not too thin nor too heavy and is not too flimsy for my binding method either.

In addition, I've already finalised the contents for my publication as in the previous mock up the text were just placeholders, however now I've finally filled them up with content. Also, as I was filling in the content I've started to get more ideas for the publication therefore I also included them and tested them out on some peers. (I included shapes and icons that are similar with differing elements which in turn may make the readers think of them as different or the same things depending on the shape/icon's established meaning in relation to the readers social and cultural background.) 


a)b)


I tested this ideas and shapes with some of my peers and got positive results and the same as what I was expecting. One of them thought a) was boxes whilst another thought they were cubes; another thought b) were just circles and balls whilst another thought they were eyes. I think this successfully supports my idea and can be effective if it was looked at my readers as well. In addition, it m ay make them think about what other meanings it could have or compare their thoughts to others as well, creating thought process and play at the same time.

Finally, for the print out of my mockups, after a few more tries they have successfully been printed the right way round. As I've added a few more bits into the publication I did have to move some parts a bit, however in the end thankfully it still printed out right and didn't mess up.


I did start to trim down some of the pages using the crop marks however, I still had to pencil them down to get the accurate cutting as the crop marks were a bit too short, which was a bit of a hassle. Also, as it was getting late into the evening the uni was closing and I didn't have enough time to trim all of them them so unfortunately I couldn't bind them either. Tomorrow, however I will continue to cut them down and bind them so that I'll have a solid mock up that I've created which hopefully will make me confidently make my actual final publication in the following days.


Thoughts & Reflection:

Today was definitely a much much MUCH better day than yesterday. After yesterday's disaster experience. I've gathered the lessons that I've learnt from the mistakes that I've made and made sure that they didn't happen today. In addition, I think the addition of my final content also give this mock up a  bit more refinement and visualisation and sense of how the publication can be read and handled by the readers. I also felt like yesterday's mistakes were necessary for me to make so that I'll be more confident and sure about my overall final publication and make me double check again and again that I don't do any mistakes anymore. Hopefully, by the end tomorrow I'll finally produce the actual final mock up before I start creating the final publication.

No comments:

Post a Comment