Monday 16 April 2018

Flag Sketches on Aircher Grid

Today, we started to sketch out ideas for our flag symbol design using Aircher's grid system. We sketched out 5 ideas from our micro-genre and created symbols on the grid, however I found it quite different because first I didn't quite like the actual grid plus I felt that it was too restriction, although maybe it was just because the grid wasn't the grid that I wanted to use.

ideas from people in the group


my sketches of development from people's sketches

additional sketch from people's ideas

We also got ideas from the people in our groups, which I used in order to create more sketches on Illustrator. After making some designs on Illustrator we had a quick crit with our group.

Bilingual - plays on the two different languages used in the rap (English and Korean) 

  •  I've decided to make the triangle overlapped to represent the bilingual aspect of the rap and differentiating the Korean and english through the use of black. *People in the crit said to strengthen the idea of being bilingual and combing language bob also combining the shapes as they're quite separate right now.

Overground/Underground - the overground and underground scene

  •  I didn't really like this particular design but I think I can probably develop it more because i think the idea is quite substantial and I could really take some ideas from the research that I've already done. *People in the crit quite liked this design, and have suggested that maybe I could differentiate the two scenes by texture, handwriting one, or changing the shape of the other line, play more with the line weight as well. 

Folktale - often in songs rappers refer to folktale and idioms in their tracks

  • I thought I could use this idea of folktale by expressing the mysterious and magical aspect that they take as metaphor in their songs, however I think the shapes that I'm using are quite obvious. 
Overall, for this exercise I didn't really create a lot of ideas or ideas that are worth for me to take further, because I felt quite rushed. Only, did I think of decent ideas after the exercise that we did and when I got ideas form other people. I'll take some of these suggestions in my other developments for the flag design because some of theme actually made me think of using things like textures and colours which would also make me think of how I could produce the actual design e.g. screen-print, knitting etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment