Saturday 14 April 2018

Design Development

From the initial ideas that I made, I decided to take the visual poetry initial ideas on, because I thought that the ideas and concepts which I've made and designed for those covers were much more in-depth and meaningful. Therefore, I thought that I could also development it better and more in-depth, in comparison to the other two. Also, I think the idea of using visual in quite interesting and would be a unique way of designing illustrations for the covers. I've also decided to use the same grey and black colour palette, as well as the same font 'Times New Roman' in order to make the book cover designs look consistent and work as a set.

The Ones Who walk Away from Omelas

This is the first development that I made form the initials. I've decided to make the background a muted grey colour because I thought it would go quite well with the minimal design as well as the vague and 'empty' setting and plot of the story. I also think it sets the tone of the story quite well and would appeal to the readers aswell. Altering the Marker grid layout as a reference, I've focused most of the front cover on the design, as well as created a clear hierarchy between the title and the writer's name, and balancing the page out clearly. I decided to only have the back cover of the book because I thought the long blurb would be enough to fill out the page, although looking back at it now, it may seem like I did not put much thought onto it.



Further developing the previous design, I decided to incorporate the design I made for the digital drawing initial design,s as the concept and idea behind it was very similar for this one and I thought that it would work quite well and maybe even better in order to describe the story through the illustration. I thought having the title and writers name on the bottom would work better because it would automatically make the readers focus on the illustration first then the title, and it also makes it more impactful because it what it seen for the get-go. I've added some aspects of the front cover design to the back cover to make it more uniformed.


The Lottery

from my initial ideas, these are the design developments that i've made for this book. Firstly, I've decided to focus more on the back cover design that was in the initial ideas, because it seems more interesting and impactful. It was also mentioned during the peer critiques how it would be better to use this design rather than the lottery ticket one because the lottery ticket one was too obvious and cliche. 

Also, making the design more useful and effective, I've made it into a wraparound design to cover the front and back cover of the book. I think doing this, made the design much more successful in telling the concept behind it, because it allowed the design to be the main point of interest due. Also if a reader was to pick up the book cover from a shelf, they will need to look at it front and back making it also quite interactive. Also because much more functional, because I was also able to incorporate the blurb onto the design itself, as suggested during peer crit. The title was made italic and lowercase because I thought it would work quite well with the lowercase letters used for the actual design.


This second design further took advantage of the shape of the design, making it quite centre eon the page in order to create a better view aesthetic for the wraparound design. The circle was also moved to the centre spine as it represents the person sacrificed in the middle of the stone circle of the story; as well as the title accommodating the design. The title also becomes underlined in an attempt to give it a higher sense of importance for the readers to read, however,r looking back at it, it just seems redundant as it's also the biggest piece of writing anyways. In addition, the blurb at the back is made white, to separate it from the design and make it easier for the readers to read it. 


2B R 0 2B

These are the developments I've made for the third book that I've chosen. From the initial idea the concept of being controlled was taken further and aspects from previous research was incorporated in the development as well. The use of the parenthesis was done, which effectively shows the idea of control, and I think it's also quite effective as it doesn't;t need to be a very complex design to describe the idea behind it. I think it will also peak interest from readers and would interest them rot read the book. Furthermore, the back cover has some aspects of the front as well, and gives further clues about the story eg. the three dots missing in the 3 lines at the back cover. I've also decided to change the layout of the text so that the design is in the centre making it balanced. But, it could also hint the idea of control by having the design 'trapped' in the centre.


Further emphasising control in the design. The parenthesis were changed to an infinity sign (which was also suggested during crit) to explain the idea of immortality, and the constant cycle of life and death in the society. I think this design works much better than the previous one as it's much more engaging and challenging. 

No comments:

Post a Comment