Sunday 15 April 2018

Korean Hiphop Playlist: Side A

As we are going be filling two sides of the tape, I want to fill the first side with tracks which are kind of on the older side and are by artists which have been doing rap for quite some time such as Seo Taiji and the Boys and Drunken Tiger. So I figured I would start the playlist on Spotify with these artist and choose songs that I knew and I liked the sound of. However, especially for Seo Taiji and the Boys, it was impossible to get their older songs which were more on the rap side so I only picked one of two. Also, it was a shame not to find some of Verbal Jint's older tracks like 'Overclass' because it was such an iconic song to the change of rhyming structure in the Korean Hiphop history, as well as songs which were considered to be the pioneering songs for Korean Hiphop like Kim Satgat or I Know,  but I guess I can't do much about it due to Spotify being a limited app for such songs.

I then went onto the related artists to pick songs from. I was careful to pick the artists because I wanted the songs to be from artists that have debuted for a long time already, and there were some that I knew and some that I didn't know. For the artists that I didn't't really know I picked their songs which ere the most popular on their page, because I figured it would be best because it could be their best know track and show their style, I did this with artist's like DJ DOC and MC Sniper.

I kind of went overboard with the song selected and began picking 5 songs for an artist which I realised isn't probably a good idea because it wouldn't be as varied. But I decided to have this draft playlist anyways and picked about 3 songs for the first side and I will probably revise this again and narrow it down to songs which I thought would suit the tone and theme of this side of the tape.

Draft Playlist


No comments:

Post a Comment