Sunday 13 May 2018

Existing Korean Hiphop Albums/CD's

Researching about some current Korean Hiphop artist's album covers, I've noticed how most of them are very contemporary and almost poster-like; as well as being type-heavy and type conscious. The use of layout and space is also very considered and I think this reflects the modernity of the hip-hop that is seen today in Korea. 


The albums are also reflective of the artist's songs itself, e.g. Jay Park's Yacht, where it is very much literal and shows visual imagery of a yacht with other details such as a compass and arrows and as well as the fact that the whole album cover is based around direction as some of the written information are rotated or reflected. The use of minimal colour scheme is also reflective of the sound of the song as it's very light and matches the overall theme and aesthetic of not just the song but also the music video.
Jay Park - Yacht 
These two album covers also show an awareness of layout, imagery and typography. They are both quite simple but I think are still very effective. I think it's also reflective of the artists hip-hop style which is the kind of minimal trap. Also, with Sik-k's album cover, the yellow is very much emphasised and is very prominent giving the cover some consistency and idea behind  it. 

Sik K - younghotyellow
Yammo - Boss


Taking away from this research I think is the way these artists use the imagery and layout design as part of what highlights their own personality and personal style in terms of the kinds of sounds and beats that they use in their songs. I think this is also very important as I need to know how I can reflect the micro-genre's overall music style and concepts using formal elements. I'm thinking of maybe reflecting these design ideas and aesthetic towards my flag design as I feel like the poster-like feel of these album designs will fit really well towards the flag that I will make. 

No comments:

Post a Comment