Friday 18 May 2018

Interim/Final Crit for Flag and J card Designs

After we've finally finished with the Studio Brief two group project we had a critique on our flag and j card designs for studio brief one with Ben. 

The crit was positive and Ben and my peers seem to like my j-card designs. My j-card sings received positive feedback for it 's rough textures and minimal design. The overall aesthetic of the j-card was also complimented and I think that this is something I can definitely refine better for my final j-card design. Some of the suggestions I got was to possibly make the text bigger, which was what actually I was contemplating about because I've had a peer crit prior to this critical and I've been suggested to also change the size but also the typeface as it was too bland and boring.  And the same thing was also suggested with a critical with Ben (make the track list type serif). Also, to make the screen printing method easier I was suggested to make the yellow type to blue so that I will only use two colour sand two layers to handle which may make the screen printing process quicker and less complicated. 

These suggestions are really helpful for me as now I feel like I have a better direction of what and how I can refine my j-card design. Also, some of the suggestions I have talks about little details about my designs like the two colour screen printing, I feel like I can definitely develop the j-card design very well because now I think I have more ideas coming out form the critique.

inside
top 

Unlike the j-card design the flag design didn't really get much positive feedback. It was seen as too chaotic and 'too much going on'. It is definitely a much weaker design that my j-card design and I feel like it may be because of the my use of typography. Because it is a typographic flag design the typography should de string and bold however, it just seems really all over the place and too much things are put together. Peers said that you can't really read it and it's not that legible so it definitely means that the typography itself failed. I've also been told that there's too many ideas going on so maybe stripping it back will help. Maybe using just one word like 'Apple' will word while incorporating visual imagery instead to reinforce the concept will be better. 

All in all, I think that I will definitely need to reconsider the formal elements that I'm using for this design as well as simplifying my concept idea so that it's not too confusing for the audience who have not idea what the micro-genre is about and the details and context behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment