Thursday 10 May 2018

Typography Development 3

This is another typography design that I started. The idea behind this typography design is that I wanted create the English alphabet using the Korean characters based on their shapes and combing the characters in order to shape the English alphabet. 

I actually quite liked these designs as they look symbols and both look angular and smooth at the same time. I really wanted to avoid it looking too angular or very stereotypical 'asian' typeface or one which you can see on a Chinese restaurant sign. However, the different line weights made it very hard for me to make the letters consistent, so they ended up looking very messy and unbalanced. As you can see the grid isn't really forced much in making these typeface so the x-heights are all very different and some letters look too big compared to the other (as per critique). Therefore I feel like again, this typeface idea won't really work for my designs and would just look completely wrong if put together as a phrase or a word. 

I've also had a critical with Ben and he suggested on making them more angular, however that was what I was trying avoid in the first place. Also, I feel like it was too complicated to create a typeface out of the Korean characters as the characters itself don't really have a proper grid system where they all follow the same x-height, baselines, descender or ascender lines so it just looks really off and unbalanced when used. Also, I've had a little thought again after the crit and felt that I should just probably stray away from the typography idea as I wasn't really getting anywhere and I feel like I'm just going to waste my time. However, I still do feel like I will use the Korean language in my designs as it is an essential part of my concepts and ideas and will certainly boost the visual imagery of my designs but also because it has consistently received positive feedback during cries with my peers therefore. However, I will use both English and Korean letters separately and try to create a harmonious balanced between them in my designs.



No comments:

Post a Comment