Tuesday 15 May 2018

Flag Development

From my initial design ideas, I didn't really feel like my design were good enough to be developed further and I feel like even if I did I feel like I wouldn't really like it either, so I did more research abut my music gene and found interesting details about the phonic feature of the Korean language. As I found, the Korean language has lots of homonyms and homophones which are used daily but also by Korean rappers through their raps. Korean rappers often use homophones/homonyms as a creative way of going about taboo messages in their songs such as rapper San E who's song 'Bad Year' is filled with puns and metaphors using this technique. Therefore, following this information I made this the bases for my flag design.

I decided to make a typographic flag based on a hybrid typeface that I've designed. This design includes homophonic/homonymic words from famous Koran tracks like 'Bad Year' (nyeon) = year, bitch, woman. The design is also reinforced by other phrases such as (sagwa - which can mean apologise and apple) in Korean, and (kkuljaem) = sweet fun, honey jam; which is incorporated in Dynamic Duo's title song 'Jam'. The design also has the english translations of the word in order for readers to understand what the word is. There's no definitive grid for the design but rather the words are laid out in accordance to the angular and straight stems of the typography, making the design quite dynamic and playful. The background does consist of the the abstract design form my previous initial idea, giving the flag design some colour and more of a hip-hop feel to it. The use of the gold and quite 'noisy' background can also give the design more of an eye-catching impact to it which I think could be good for attracting an audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment