Friday 18 May 2018

Typography Development 2

I've kind of left my typography ideas after I did my first initial once and scraped the idea of doing calligraphy as I felt it may be leading too much towards the traditional side and doesn't really express the modernity and use of technology that is prominent and utilised in the Korean Hiphop industry. Instead, I tried coming up with other ideas which may lead me to better designs which can relate both the the micro-genre and the aesthetic of the design that I want. 


For this first design, I tried to let myself experiment loosely with the Korean characters and didn't give myself much of a grid because I thought it may led me to a more obscure but unique typeface. Instead of correcting the Korean characters with it's English equivalent, I just used the characters as they are and tried to fit whichever character I thought looked like an English letter with it. Some letters looked alright, like the A, C, E and F, however letters like B and D didn't look quite right and even though it's only the first 6 letter of the alphabet I felt that they already didn't fit the aesthetic that I'm trying to achieve and overall I don't quite like how they look very awkwardly stretched and  wide, as well as thin making it look really squared and unbalanced and I thought continuing it would just waste my time because I already didn't like the design anyway so I stopped continuing it altogether and thought of another design which I can do. 


This design actually came from my initial design idea before where I wanted to make a hybrid typeface with the English alphabet and the Korean alphabet. I used the Korean pronunciation of the word letters as the basis of for the spelling for the letter, as I thought this would add to the uniqueness of the typeface and used the Korean writing system of writing in blocks (so essentially the letters are words in this case). I also based the hybrid letters with the Korean spelling of the pronunciation, along with the corresponding English letter replacing the first character of the word in order to make it clear and legible what letter it is. At first I quite liked the typeface as it looks very interesting and intriguing, however I found as I tried to put a whole phrase together that it's quite hard to read and it only really works as individual letters rather than to be used in a sentence of phrases. They also look very jagged and some are off-centre, tight and inconsistent in size so they look all over the place and not quite refined. I think this maybe because I didn't really use a grid system o measure and make each letter centred and aligned together, but rather i was designed each letter without referencing the rest of the design so they all look separated. 


This design was a quick thought that I had while talking to Pat as he mentioned if Korean words have English spellings. I remembered that Korean song lyrics often have 'romanized' versions where each syllable in the words in spelt in it's english equivalent. Using this concept, I quickly drew up the whole English alphabet but in the Korean romanised version. This is really just a quick sketch and I thought it was too straightforward and bland to take forward because there's not ,much concept about it and it doesn't look interesting enough to be screaming 'Korean Hiphop'. I did thought of this design as a kind of extra thought process which may lead me to other ideas in which I can create a hybrid typeface with.

No comments:

Post a Comment