Wednesday 23 May 2018

Packaging Design


  • relates to the object design
  • cardboard - feels rougher and rawer fits the underground aesthetic and hiphop in general (mixtapes)
  • screenrinted with inside j-card pattern
  • less controlled and reflects the rebellious aspect of korean hiphop
  • scoring the opposite side for easier cassette insert but also adds for the overall look
  • more interesting that the obvious O-card
For my packaging design, i went through quite some process in order to pick which one fits the best with my concept. At first I wanted to use a black maltese mailer because I thought it would reflect well on the rough and dark side of Korean hip-hop as well as the fact that black is a commonly used colour in dark Korean hip-hop music videos. It's also quite convenient as it's already cut out for me and I don't have to do any measuring. However, as I developed my j-card desing and my object idea, Ben gave me an idea of making the packaging from cardboard box or mailer in order to fit with the cardboard shoebox aesthetic and screen printing it with the pattern from my j-card layout in order to create a consistent and cohesive design. 

I've developed my packaging idea into using a screen printed cardboard stock in order to fit my overall design aesthetic. I really liked this idea and how the textures came out however, the only problem I had was how to cut the template out. 


At first, I decided to cut it out the same as a cardboard mailer (thinner version) which turned out okay, however once I started to fold it, the fold lines were too thick and just made the whole packaging really wildly and bulky which ruined the whole design sand point of the packaging. 



I however, adapted the cardboard mailer template to an O-card (suggested by Ben). I realised that the O-acrd was a much better option because it was very practical and product efficient as only a little bits needed, hence why I was able to make a lot of versions of it.


Also, ben suggested me to score the fold lined form the outside so the inside fold lines wouldn't be as tight and restrictive of space. I found this very helpful and made me realise easy it was and also the outside fooling, gave my packaging a nice look to it as you can see the corrugated card that was inside the cardboard material, making it look more authentic and rawer.


Overall, I really liked how my packaging turned out and I've also created some sticker designs in order to seal the O-card together. I was recommended superglue but I thought putting stickers over it would look nicer (also it's similar to the packaging for the object design, making the collateral cohesive). 


No comments:

Post a Comment