Sunday 14 October 2018

Publication Research in Colours May Vary

After going to the Kirkgate Market Fair, I decided to also check out Colours May Vary as they have an extensive selection of books and magazines which I can look at. These were just some of the publications and books which I thought were interesting bound or had some elements which I thought were really good and maybe I could or somehow incorporate in my own publication. 


I really liked this publication (Counterpoint Magazine #16 'Flight') as it just instantly grabbed my attention due to the bright colours that were used. I found it was created by Tan and Loose Press which creates risograph zines and publication. The entirely risograph publication gives it a kind of raw and organic feel to it as some parts aren't completely lined up properly as well as some letter appear quite faint. I really liked this quality as it fits the aesthetic and the content of the publication. Also, in my opinion finish that risograph has on this publication is what makes it quite unique on its own. Furthermore, it's made from sugar paper complementing the other materials that were used to make it. Overall, I think the materials and techniques used to create this publication was well-thought out and detailed up to it's consideration of its content, although it may seem simple, making it that much more attractive to me.


Another book that really caught my eye was this publication (Eye On Design #2 'Psych'). Although it didn't have the name of the magazine on the front I was instantly attracted to the die cut design resembling an eye. Upon skimming through the magazine I come to see a consistent theme of psychedelic design (which with 'Psych' being it's name makes sense). The magazine is full and loud almost mimicking a psychedelic experience. The colours used and illustration designed makes the readers experience and see what psychedelia may be liked eliciting a response from them. In addition, the magazine also contains some interactive elements such as a concertina page within the magazine. This allowed for an entirely illustrated page which also serves as an interlude for the readers. I also really liked this as it adds a little bit more of something else to the magazine relating it back to the 'too much' aesthetic that it has. With contents of the magazine based on drugs, tarot cards etc. the aesthetic used is very appropriate I think and although it may be a straightforward approach to the content, I think embracing the literal meaning of psychedelia was better as restricting it or simplifying it would've lost it's entire meaning and idea and wouldn't be as communicative and effective.



I thought this embossed title was really nice and adds a bit more character and element to the magazine (Drift #7 San Francisco) which made it more attractive and grab my attention. The contrast between grey and gold were also perfect and relays the tone and aesthetic of the magazine without me even opening the magazine yet.


This publication (Locomotion, Nobrow) looked really exciting and fun at first glance as it was quite bulky and looked as if it was folded in an interesting way. It isn't really bounded together in any way which makes it quite an interactive publication as it makes the readers work with the publication. It also gives the readers the freedom to read from whichever part of the publication making it quite free and dynamic. Furthermore, it may have been created this way in reflection of the content and context behind the publication (locomotive trains). Creating a subtle reference to the content makes the production of the publication much more meaningful making it quite successful in reflecting it's aims. However, I do think that some people may get confused on how to navigate and read the publication as it's quite open and free, perhaps too free?


This wasn't really a book but I just liked how it was simply bounded. Although I did like how it was bounded maybe the cover choice wasn't quite appropriate or the amount of pages or size wasn't as practical as it's quite hard to close which may make it difficult for users to handle and use if they try to close it or write in it. Maybe decreasing the amount of pages will balance the book out or making it more A5 sized; or using a thinner less stiff cover so it's much more flexible and able to close.



Overall, going to Colours May Vary have given me some ideas of how I would want my publication to be produced and possibly bounded. The different ways book have been produced and bounded were in relation to their content and context which I think I have gathered as well from the other places that I have visited, which I will also definitely keep in mind for my own publication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment