Wednesday 17 October 2018

Stab Stitch Experiment (Japanese Binding)

I've decided to do an experiment with stab stitch binding so that I could maybe have a clearer idea of which binding technique I would use for my publication. Although, I've already used and tried this binding technique last year, I decided to create this experiment on thicker material e.g. mount board to see if it works or not, as I'm thinking of possibly using mount board as a hard back cover?


Right away I've noticed problems with using this technique with this material. Because, mount board is really stiff and quite thick it was quite hard to make the needle go through the materail to stitch through it. I also found it hard to fold the material, so I tried scoring it a bit, however, I then realised that the grains of the material may be going the opposite way of how the material works therefore it didn't work at all. Although, I did try in the end I accidentally put too much pressure on it and ended up breaking the material. I've realised here, that this technique is definitely not appropriate for my publication, especially functionality wise and aesthetically as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment