Friday 12 October 2018

Group Crit 1

Today we had our first interim crit for studio brief one and I think it went pretty well. I think I presented my brief fairly well in detail and quickly in order for my peers to understand what I am trying to achieve. The feedback that I got from my crit was also fairly useful I got some interesting points that I could maybe look at and things that I can think about when researching for and making the content for my book.

I said in my crit that I wanted to create a publication which uses messages or signs like the 'emotionally intelligent signs' that I researched in order to elicit actions or responses from the viewers. The messages or signs that I am aiming to create will hopefully make the viewers think of why they did it like that and how they are feeling when they flick through the publication. i also mentioned that I wanted the publication to be quite interactive in order to elicit actions.

These are the feedback that I got form the crit:

  • Write instructions in the book  - this feedback is quite similar to the starting point of my content which is message and signs which I found quite relevant but at the same time I don't just want my publication to be an instruction book because it may start commanding the viewers rather than making them think for themselves.
  • Materials used can resemble the text within - I quite liked this suggestion as it may increase the possibility of the viewers eliciting a certain thought or emotion whilst still being quite open where they can interpret it in their own way.
  • The use of specific type - Similar to the previous suggestions I think type will also aid to the interaction between the viewer and the publication as certain type can be used for certain characteristics and can highlight various atmospheres which can aid the messages that are going to be in the book. 
  • Look into the power of signs and how "signs that are lifeless can make us question things"- I think maybe they were suggesting to me to look at my content in a more psychological way and find research about how signs can communicate to a viewer, which I've already been doing in my research anyway.
  • Maybe focus on characters/symbols- I don't know if this is just going to make my research more vague and broad because I do just want to focus on the messages rather than the symbols on the signs, as they are more of a functional and direct way of communicating like way finders. It is from the same area however, I think it's too detached from my own concept and ideas.
Artist suggestions:
  • Tracey Emin - on how she uses texture and materials in order to elicit emotion and how we perceive things
  • David Crow (An Introduction to Semiotics)- manipulation of signs -> if a sign is manipulated and changed how will our perspective change. 
I think these artist suggestions will really help me find more research because I was really struggling with finding other research material for my concept. A the same time, researching more into my concept will probably help me come up with a fuller much more detailed concept and idea.

I also asked a few questions I was worried about like; the target audience of my publication, my processes and the actual content of my publication because I don't just want it to contain random messages I want it to have a specific genre so that it's not just random. 

From this I was suggested that maybe the publication can be aimed at people interested in process of reading and can be sold in book shops not necessarily just design shops. Also, I was worried about what my content is going to be because I haven't really started thinking of it because I didn't know where to start in the first place, but someone suggested to make the content about reading which I thought was quite book as it may make the viewers even more engrossed in reading a book which is about reading. I also mentioned having interactive aspects to my book like pop-ups although someone did remind me to be careful so it wouldn't look like a pop up book which is a fair point because I really don't want to overload it with processes just for the sake of it because I think it would just lose its purpose.

Overall, it was a really fruitful crit with ideas that I can look more into detail and think about which can hopefully help me creating a solid publication in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment