Friday 12 October 2018

Content Research

What are signs?
  • An object, quality or event whose presence or occurrence indicates the probable presence or occurrence of something else.
From my previous blogs, I have mentioned about Emotionally Intelligent Signs and I thought that it's something that relates really closely to my concept therefore I decided to find out a bit more about it. Daniel Pink described signs as ways of way finding which means they have to be clear, understandable and direct; there are also signs which impose rules of behaviour in public, and this is where emotionally intelligent signs come in. According to Daniel Pink their are two types of emotionally intelligent signs. 
  • Signs that DEMONSTRATE EMPATHY and
  • Signs that ENCOURAGE/ELICIT EMPATHY FROM THE VIEWERS.
As an example, normal signs such as 'Pick up after your dog' can sound very commanding and won't really have much of an effect on a viewer as they may deem it authoritative therefore eliciting the opposite response from them. However, adding an empathetic line like 'Children play here', can persuade the viewer and encourage empathy from them. It may make them think, 'What if my kids play here and they stand on dog litter?' The sign in some way now affected them in their life and will more likely make them do what is asked of them to do. 



To add to this, I think it also kind of sounds like a conversation and something that can be heard everyday. It's also something that may be quite humorous therefore I think it would make viewers comply to the rules that they are seeing. Instead of making it sound very commanding and authoritative it rather sounds, convincing and makes the viewers willing to do what they're asked to do.

I think for my own publication I would like to put in the empathy aspect that is the core of these messages as I think this is something that is really key to my own publication of being able to be communicative with the viewer and making the viewer think and question things whilst they are reading. However, I'm just worried that I may make a pastiche of these kind of work because they are so specific, therefore I think really knowing what my subject and content is in the book will be really helpful for me to separate my own work from this and rather just making this a reference and inspiration rather than copying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZOt6BkhUg

No comments:

Post a Comment