Tuesday 16 October 2018

Embossing Induction

Today we had an embossing induction in relation to our book publication module. The induction ran through all the procedures of embossing and debossing and it can relate to book publishing.

To do embossing, handmade paper is the best material to use as it soak water in very well (as the paper needs to be soak in water for a certain amount of time before embossing it - (cartridge paper - 10-20 secs; handmade paper - 2/3 mins), a 'plate' of the design is also needed for embossing - preferably the same size as the paper used for accurate measurements and design outcome.


Different types of materials can be used as plate for the design, such as copper or mount board, as shown below.


 It can also be printed on different surfaces, e.g. buckram (though it's actually embossing on the grey board thats covered with the buckram and not the buckram itself). It can also be done on leather. This is great as it can be used for book hardcovers or book pages that are quite thick. In addition, when using type for embossing, it's important to remember to paper the other way around in order to get the embossed letter the right way round too.


After soaking the paper, dry between excess paper and a rolling pin. Put it against the light to ensure it's dryness e.g. if still shiny it's not dry enough. When paper is dry enough then embossing can be started. 

Put tracing paper on the machine first to ensure the print will be clean, then put the plate in accordance to the grid on the table. Put tracing paper over the plate then put the paper over the tracing paper in accordance to the plate. Put tracing paper over the paper again to avoid it sticking to the mat/machine and being dirty. 





Put the mat over the design and begin rolling the machine. Be careful handling the machine as it can get quite hard to roll or too fast, becoming risky of accidents. If print is not embossed enough the machines can be adjusted to produce a stronger roll force thus more prominent prints. 



Once over the design slowly stop rolling and open the mat to get the prints and the plate, throw away excess tracing paper and dry the prints before using.


Thoughts & Reflection:
I actually thought it was going to be harder to emboss than I expected, however after the induction I feel much more knowledgable and confident about it and I feel like I can create interesting print with it, using different textures, materials and shapes. I do quite like the technique as it's quite easy and fun to do, however, I don't know if it has a use or reason of use in my publication yet. As I don't quite have my content yet, using this technique may be futile as I need to have a valid reason for it in relation to my content and context in order for my experimentation to be useful and informed. Although, as I already now how this technique works, I will definitely think if it's worth it to put in my publication or if it will make my publication more effective and communicative as I do appreciate the design and end result that comes after doing it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment