Thursday 25 October 2018

New Exhibition in Village Books

Yesterday, I went to Village Books to see their new exhibition. The new exhibition was 'Northern Rivers' by Lola Paprocka and Pani Paul, about the 'Our Strong Brotherhood' group from New South Wales, Australia. The exhibition also included a publication including all the photographs taken.  

The publication was quite simple; being saddle stitched and made from normal smooth photo paper. I think the title was foiled with gold foil which was quite a nice contrast to to the grey and white front cover. The composition and layout of the photographs were very varied keeping the flow of the publication varied throughout too. When I was their I didn't really get the content of the book as their were no text to put it into context however, maybe this was to highlight the actual pictures itself. Also, even though I didn't really get the content t first, I still thought it was quite nice how the photographs were carefully laid out and thought out including black and white pictures throughout as well as coloured in order to connote different tones. 




Thoughts & Reflection:

Overall, I thought the exhibition itself was quite nice, being in a small space it felt more intimate seeing the photographs framed around. Furthermore, the publication created alongside the exhibition was also quite nice visually, however, I kind of wanted to have more context behind it as I couldn't really understand what it was about at first, maybe having certain pages with context would have helped in giving a better understanding about the publication and exhibition. Linking this to my own publication, I thought that using various composition and layout would be quite beneficial considering that I wanted a variation of typesetting techniques in my publication. Also, I thought that giving as much context around my context would also be really helpful in order for readers to grasp and understand what they are reading. 

https://villagebooks.co/products/northern-rivers
https://palmstudios.co.uk/product/northern-rivers/

No comments:

Post a Comment