Thursday 11 October 2018

Village Books Research

I went to Village books for some inspiration for my own publication as I felt going to an actual art book store will be more relevant for me as I can actually physically see and touch the books that are on there and see how I interact with the book and how it makes me feel in person than on screen. I also felt going out in person to find books is very relevant to my own publication as I'm seeing how people will and can interact with a book. I found these interesting books types of books/zines there and I was actually going to look for books which would be relevant to my concept however as I browsed through I kind of diverted to seeing how I actually interacted with the books/zines.


This zine was very much illustrations with humorous phrases accommodating it. It grabbed my attention when I read the title 'PROCRASTINATION' (A5) as it's something that I can relate to therefore I thought it would suit my interest in books as well. The usages of pink and black throughout is also very effective as it's very eye-catching and stand out from the rest of the books that it's with. Also, the fact that its quite a small book and was behind other books; but still managed to grab my attention I think makes the colour choices very effective. The actual content of the book is also quite smart and witty. It's very simple and easy to relate and understand to which matches the way that it's been produced and the way I as a viewer understand the book as well. Production wise I think it's very easy and cheap to create these book as it can be reprinted, a small A5 size and only contains two colours; as well as bounded with stapler. 




This all illustration zine also caught my attention. The use of harmonious colours like yellow and green, matched the turtle content of the zine which kept the whole book together. I also found the translucent yellow sleeve fun and interesting as it makes the book more vibrant and gives it a bit of a different atmosphere. It also reminds me of comic books and graphic novels by the way it's illustrated and composed. Going through the book, I found myself stopping literally on every page of the book as it looks very 'full'. The detailed and dynamic composition of the pages makes you stop and look at the book properly, which is quite ironic because it doesn't contain any words which you will need to actually read and stop at a page to. However, by looking at each pages carefully I kind of understood the whole story and content behind the book which is quite interesting as it shows that you don't really need to have words within the book to tell a message. In addition, in a sense it's also very open-ended for the viewer as it gives you the freedom to think what the book means. It's subjective to your own thoughts and feelings which I think makes the book brilliant.  This idea kind of reminded me of Anthony Burrill's positive message and how they are open-ended to people and their own thoughts.


For this book, it was the cover that drew my attention as it's made from an interesting material. The cover of the hard back book is quite textured which made me go to it to see how it feels like. It reminds me of books that you'd see in coffee shops on the coffee tables as it's quite thick and bulky. It gave me the impression that it may be a quite serious and text heavy book, however, upon looking into it, it's actually filled with loads of pictures which I found fascinating as it doesn't' reflect the aesthetic from the cover. This book may be for a certain audience demographic as it doesn't rely on bright and bold designs in order to attract audiences in the first place. It may be a book that is seeked out by it's audience rather than a book that's seeking for it's audience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment