Saturday 20 October 2018

Saddle Stitch Binding

I also tried out the saddle stitch binding. It's a very basic binding technique and would probably suit a more zine like publication. However, I tried it out anyway because I also wanted to play around with text layout on the page. Also, for a saddle stitch, digital layout was also important because it needs to print double sided. As you can see in 1, I accidentally printed out another page onto the front cover. This made me think to really consider the lay out of my pages digitally if I want to do my publication right.

1)2)

Furthermore, in 3 and 4, the unaligned texts makes the publication look quite scruffy and it may be quite unsatisfying for the readers to read, especially if they have to read sentences that span out on a double page spread. On the other hand, I could make this 'unaligned aesthetic' work however I feel like it won't really relate to my content and context and it would just be harder to deliberately not align  text than align it. Furthermore, I'm already not using specific grids for the text therefore doing this would just look too much.

3)4)

Thoughts & Reflection:

After doing this experiment it didn't really led me anything to do with the actual binding technique however it did make me think of other details than I should definitely consider for my publication. As the technique required for the pages to me folded instead of cut, the digital design needs to be considered in order for the text to be aligned as well. I didn't really consider this before but after seeing the layout on this experiment I realised that I need to carefully consider the bleed of the page on screen so that I won't lose any text or make the book smaller than intended, as well as keep a balanced layout and composition between space and text. As I'm planning to create a very text heavy book this digital technique is really important and doing this experiment has helped me come to realise that.

No comments:

Post a Comment